DSpace logo
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://repositorio.ucsg.edu.ec/handle/3317/12981
Title: Agente etIológico más frecuentemente asociado a encefalitis en pacientes con VIH/SIDA del Hospital Teodoro Maldonado Carbo en el período enero 2013 - diciembre 2016.
Authors: Espinosa Morales, María Belén
Tamayo Benites, María Andrea
metadata.dc.contributor.advisor: Yoong Basurto, Washington Bolívar
Keywords: TOXOPLASMA GONDII;VIH/SIDA;AGENTES ANTIRRETROVIRALES;ENCEFALITIS
Issue Date: 30-Apr-2019
Publisher: Universidad Católica de Santiago de Guayaquil
Abstract: Background: Despite the great progress made by antiretroviral treatment for the prognosis of HIV / AIDS, opportunistic infections continue to be a global public health problem. The infections of the central nervous system produced by these pathogens in patients immunosuppressed by HIV represent a true medical emergency, because the delay in diagnosis and treatment entails a high rate of neurological complications, disability and mortality. Objective: To determine the infectious agent that most frequently affects the central nervous system in patients in the last stage of HIV infection, or AIDS, in the Social Security Hospital: "Teodoro Maldonado Carbo" of the city of GuayaquilEcuador. Methods: A sample of 100 patients was collected with the final diagnosis of infectious encephalitis associated with HIV, in the period between January 2013 and December 2016, which were classified according to their pathogen. Results: Toxoplasma gondii was found to affect 68% of cases, followed by Herpes Virus with 20% of cases, ending with 6% of cases corresponding to Cytomegalovirus, 4% to Mycoplasma pneumonia and 2% to Cryptococcus neoformans. . (p <0.005) Most were in the range between 31 to 65 years, with 63 cases (63.00%), followed by over 65 with 21 cases (21.00%) and the remaining 16 cases, ages under 30 years (p <0.005). It is observed that the male sex corresponded to 71% of the cases, while the female sex to 29% of the sample. (p <0.001). 46.00% of patients died due to this disease, while the remaining 54.00% of cases died in stable conditions (p <0.05). Conclusions: It is concluded that, among the cases of Encephalitis associated with HIV, Toxoplasma gondii corresponds to the etiological agent most frequently related to its development.
Description: Contexto: A pesar del gran avance que ha dado el tratamiento antirretroviral para el pronóstico del VIH/SIDA, las infecciones oportunistas siguen siendo un problema de salud pública mundial. Las infecciones del sistema nervioso central producidas por estos patógenos en los pacientes inmunodeprimidos por el VIH representan una verdadera urgencia médica, debido a que el retraso en su diagnóstico y tratamiento conlleva una alta tasa de complicaciones neurológicas, discapacidad y mortalidad. Objetivo: Determinar el agente infeccioso que con mayor frecuencia afectan el sistema nervioso central en pacientes en la última etapa de la infección por VIH, o SIDA, en el Hospital de la Seguridad Social: “Teodoro Maldonado Carbo” de la ciudad de Guayaquil-Ecuador. Método: Se recolectó una muestra de 100 pacientes con el diagnóstico final de encefalitis infecciosa asociada a VIH, en el período comprendido entre Enero 2013 y Diciembre del 2016 los cuales fueron clasificados según su patógeno afectante. Resultados: Se encontró que el Toxoplasma gondii afectó al 68% de los casos, seguido del Herpes Virus con un 20% de los casos, finalizando con un 6% de casos correspondientes a Citomegalovirus, 4% a Mycoplasma pneumoniae y 2% a Criptococcus neoformans. (p<0,005) La mayor parte se encontraba en el rango comprendido entre 31 a 65 años, con 63 casos (63,00%), seguido de mayores de 65 años con 21 casos (21,00%) y los 16 casos restantes, edades por debajo de los 30 años (p<0,005). Se observa que el sexo masculino correspondió al 71% de los casos, mientras que el sexo femenino al 29% de la muestra. (p<0,001). Un 46,00% de los pacientes fallecieron a causa de esta enfermedad, mientras que el 54,00% restante de los casos egresaron en condiciones estables (p<0,05). Conclusión: Se concluye que, entre los casos de Encefalitis asociada a VIH, el Toxoplasma gondii corresponde al agente etiológico más frecuentemente relacionado con su desarrollo.
URI: http://repositorio.ucsg.edu.ec/handle/3317/12981
Appears in Collections:Trabajos de Titulación - Carrera de Medicina

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
T-UCSG-PRE-MED-829.pdf991,36 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.